Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Pray for Me: Mid-Week Reflection

THE REV. KATHLEEN M. STURGES

Several months ago I met a friend for coffee. We caught up on each other’s lives and before we parted he asked me to keep him in prayer about some specific obstacle he was facing in his life. He then asked me, “How can I pray for you?” I don't remember exactly what was going on in my life at that time, but no doubt there were some stressors, worries or concerns that I could have easily trotted out for prayer. But for some reason, instead of giving a quick answer I paused to really consider what I’d like this Christian friend of mine to pray for. I recognized that although I wanted my current worries to be fixed, that even if God did that and I could check them off the list they would quickly be replaced by new concerns.

I liken it to my experience of pulling weeds. On the rare occasion that I invest the time and effort to clean up the flower bed in front of my house I find it only takes a few days, perhaps a week, before more weeds sprout. I’m not trying to be pessimistic, but the reality of life is that, like a garden, it is often full of beauty
and weeds at the same time.

So instead of asking for prayer for God would pull whatever current weeds were sprouting in my life, I asked instead that I might be an open and welcoming recipient of God’s peace. For I was trusting that with that peace there would come the necessary tools like wisdom, courage, patience, thanksgiving, etc., that would help me address the pressing situation of the day.

I am reminded of Jesus and his disciples on their last night together. Upon telling the disciples that he is leaving and their understandable response of anxiety, questions and concerns, Jesus gives them a gift that will carry them through all the trials and tribulations in their near and distant future Peace. "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled, and do not let them be afraid" (John 14:27). We are recipients of that same peace. The peace of God which passes all understanding sustains us and carries us through whatever the day might bring. It’s a peace that roots us in God’s great hope, love and goodness enabling us to deal with the weeds that naturally crop up in our garden of life.

So ask me how you can pray for me and depending on the moment I may give you a laundry list of specific needs and concerns I want you to ask God to fix, thank you very much. However, the greater gift and the ultimate answer to all of our prayers is that we might be filled with God’s peace. And infused by that peace we will be more than able to live and flourish amidst both the beauty and the weeds.

May the peace of the Lord be always with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment