Tuesday, March 7, 2017

SUNDAY SERMON 3/5/17 by the Rev. David M. Stoddart

Matthew 4:1-11


There’s a story from the life of St. Teresa of Avila, a sixteenth century Spanish nun and mystic. She was a very prayerful woman, prone to visions and ecstatic encounters with God, who had to spend much of her time traveling and doing administrative work as a leader and reformer of her religious order―which she did reluctantly because she really preferred living a simple life devoted to prayer. One night she was caught in a terrible storm, and her carriage was blown over and she was thrown into the mud by the side of the road. She stood up, drenched and filthy, and yelled, “God, I’m trying to do what you want me to do. I’m working hard, I’m exhausted, and I keep asking for your help. Now this happens! Why?” And then she heard God speak within her heart, saying, “Teresa, this is the way I treat all my friends.” And she replied, “Ah, Lord, it’s no wonder that you have so few.”

I first told that story in a sermon many years ago at the beginning of my ordained ministry. I had a very clever point I was going to make with it; that story was going to beautifully illustrate what my sermon was all about. And then, standing up in front of the congregation without notes, I told the story―and then forgot what I was going to say. I mean, my mind went completely blank. If you’ve never stood in front of 150 people and completely lost your train of thought, let me just say that I don’t recommend it. I must have stood there for about 20 seconds, though it felt like eternity. Nothing came. I finally stammered out a few sentences about God meeting us in terrible circumstances, apologized, and then sat down. It was bad! I was mortified: I don’t think I have ever been more embarrassed. And I spent days beating myself up about it. I told a priest friend about it later that week, just to share my shame, and he looked at me and said, “That was probably the best thing that could have happened to you.” In that moment, I could not believe him. But good things did come of it. Lots of people expressed love and support for me, and several people actually said that they got a lot out of it. One woman told me she was so moved by my demonstrating how God uses human weakness—and it became clear in our conversation that she thought I had staged the whole thing! As much as I wanted to find something to feel good about, I did not let her go on believing that! (Oh, yeah, yeah, I did that on purpose!)

But most importantly, it made me confront in a deep way my own shadow side. Since there was no hiding from it, I asked God into it: my egotistical need to impress people, my vanity, my craving to feel perfect, my fear of failure, my mixed motives at the heart of everything I did as a priest. At some level, I thought I needed to ignore, deny, or repress all of that, but the Spirit said otherwise: what I really needed to do was acknowledge it and accept that God loved me in the midst of it. I have had many humiliating moments like that over the years, more than I care to admit, and the cumulative effect has been to convince me of how crucial it is that we bring our whole self to God, leaving nothing out. That is the only way to forgiveness, healing, and wholeness.

And I believe that Jesus models this very thing for us. It’s easy to hear this familiar Gospel passage and treat it like a cartoon: the devil with a pointy tail and pitchfork urging Jesus to do bad things, and Jesus standing firm and piously resisting such blandishments. I mean, who can really identify with such a scene? Far better, I believe, to see Jesus being human and confronting his own shadow side. He does not sin, but the Bible assures us that he undergoes real temptation. Think about that: part of him wants to do these things—wants to abuse his power to satisfy his own needs.  Part of him wants to sell out for the sake of personal glory. In this story, Jesus does not deny any of that: he recognizes it for what it is. He owns it. And I think that accounts for this wonderful detail at the end, about the angels coming to minister to him. Only by seeing the whole truth about himself can that happen. There would be no angels in the story if there were no devil. The only way for God to make us whole is to bring our whole self to God.

Every week we confess our sins in worship. That is not meant to be an act of self-flagellation—man, I’m such a terrible person!—but rather an act of probing spiritual honesty. It’s an honesty that we are called to always, and the season of Lent just drives the point home: we need to see ourselves as we truly are, dark aside and all. We can do this with safety and hope because through Jesus God assures us that the bottom line for us is always love, not judgment; mercy, not condemnation. We all have our own issues, of course, and the possibilities are endless: resentment, jealousy, dishonesty, pride, fear, greed, whatever. Rather than living in denial or shame, Christ calls us to bring ourselves, our full selves, to the light of God’s love and healing power.

If you do this, I don’t know what God will do in your life. I know what God has done in mine. Among many things, she has shown me that not only am I not perfect, I don’t have to try to pretend to be perfect; that the Holy Spirit will move through my weakness as much as, if not more than, through my strength; that God does not love the fantasy I once had of myself but loves me as I really am; that I can count on that love so much that I can take risks and be vulnerable. And I have learned that, I have experienced it in my heart and my gut, mostly by confronting my shortcomings, my failures, my shadow side. That is the promise of Jesus Christ: God will forgive, accept, and love us for who we are and will even use our worst qualities to transform us in ways that we cannot imagine. God is amazing: even our sin can be the means of life-changing grace. But for that to happen, we first need to own it. All of it. God will do the rest.


No comments:

Post a Comment