Monday, June 19, 2017

Mission - Sunday 6/18/17 The Rev. David M. Stoddart




Matthew 9:35-10:23.

No gold, silver, or copper, no extra tunics or sandals, and no staffs. It’s a good thing Jesus says nothing about jeans, work boots, and sunscreen, not to mention M&Ms, Chex Mix, and Gummy Bears: we have five vans loaded up with such supplies as we prepare to leave on our youth mission trip today. So we may not exactly imitate those first disciples, but then again, we’re not heading out into 1st century Palestine; we’re going into 21st century Kentucky. And besides which, getting bogged down in the details of travel packing misses the point of this Gospel passage. Set aside cultural and geographical concerns for a moment, and focus on the essential message. When Jesus sends his friends out, he makes it clear that they don’t need a lot of stuff to do great work. Actually, they just need two things, the two things he has: love and faith.

Jesus looks around at those crowds, and he feels compassion for them: he loves those people and sees their needs. And he believes, he trusts, that his heavenly Father will work through him and his followers to bless those people. And that’s it: he doesn’t need loads of supplies, and neither do his friends. They don’t need advanced theological training. They don’t need gimmicks. They just need to love — and believe that God’s love and power will flow through them. If they have those two essentials, Jesus assures them, they will change the world . . . because the world desperately needs what they have to offer.

Do you believe that? The other day I was walking through the downtown mall, and apparently I looked happy because a woman with big glasses and long dreadlocks approached me and said, “I hope you’re smiling because you’re praying for me.” And I said, “No, but I can.” She told me she would like that, so I stopped, asked what her name was, laid my hands on her and there, in front of the Nook and the Taproom, I prayed that God’s love would flow through her that very day and bless her as she needed to be blessed. I finished by saying “I hope you have a great day,” and she replied, “I will now.” It brought to mind a visit I had in the hospital. I was anointing and praying for a parishioner, but I noticed that his roommate kept looking at me. So, when I was done, I asked him, “Would you like me to pray for you?” And he said, “I’m an atheist.” And I said, “Great. Would you like me to pray for you?” And he said, “Yes, I really would” and I did. That kind of thing happens frequently, and that’s my point: everyone wants to be loved. Everyone wants to experience the touch of a loving God who really knows them and cares about them. Everyone. The harvest is plentiful.

But let me be clear: that plentiful harvest is always and only about love. Everyone does not want more angry believers walking around and telling people why they stink. The world does not need more self-righteous prigs preaching that you better do these 356 things and you better do them right and you better do them as members of this or that particular church or you’re going to hell because God is really ticked off at you. Look at this Gospel. Do you hear any talk of hell or damnation? Do you hear any talk of God hating anyone? There is none. Even the passing reference to judgment refers only to regret, to missing out on an opportunity to experience love. Here are Jesus’s instructions: Proclaim the good news . . . Cure the sick, raise the dead, cleanse the lepers, cast out demons . . . as you enter a house, let your peace come upon it. Go out and love these people. For God’s sake, love them. That’s the message and that’s why we’re here. The church is not a club for the righteous, not a self-improvement society that, as an act of charity, has decided to let some other people in on the secret. No, the church only exists — we, Church of Our Saviour, only exist — to share the good news of God’s love as we have experienced it through Jesus Christ and in the power of the Holy Spirit.

That is our sole reason for being; it is our mission. Our parish mission statement says it clearly: Growing a community in Christ and sharing Christ’s love with the world. To be in Christ means to do just that. Fun fact: do you know what the actual legal name of the Episcopal Church is? I’ll give you a hint: it’s not “The Episcopal Church.” Our official, legal name is “The Domestic and Foreign Missionary Society of the Protestant Episcopal Church in the United States of America.” If you belong to this church, you belong The Domestic and Foreign Missionary Society. To be a Christian is to be on mission always, to share God’s love always.

And, Lord knows, the world needs it. Yet another senseless attack in Alexandria this past week just adds to the ongoing toll of hatred, division, and violence that causes so much misery and suffering, both here and around the world. When Jesus says the harvest is plentiful, he’s not kidding. And he is also not being a Pollyanna: he knows he is sending his followers out like sheep into the midst of wolves, as lovers into a world that hates all too easily. But, of course, that’s precisely why the world needs his followers so badly. That’s why the world needs us to proclaim the Good News and demonstrate by our words and our actions that God is love.

And to do that, we need only what those first disciples needed. Our youth community is heading out to Kentucky with supplies for the week, but all we really require are compassionate hearts and faith that God will use us in some positive way. And that is true for all of us, whether we go on a mission trip or not. When I walk into a hospital room or talk to someone in my office or encounter someone on the downtown mall, I may put my talents to work, but all I ultimately have to offer is love for others and faith that God will work through me. When you leave here today, whatever gifts and resources you may possess, what you ultimately have to offer is your love and faith. So use them. The harvest is plentiful . . . but the laborers are few. The Risen Christ continually calls new workers into the harvest and we don’t have to look far to see who he’s calling. It’s not the folks at the church down the street from us; it’s not the person sitting down the pew from us. Christ is calling you and me. If we love others even a little bit, if we believe that God will work through us even a little bit, and if we act on that love and that faith, then one person at a time, one event at a time, you and I will change the world.




No comments:

Post a Comment