Thursday, November 16, 2017

We don’t ring alone: A Reflection by Carolyn Voldrich


As hand bell ringers, we don’t play alone and can’t practice by ourselves. We need each other playing together to hear the entirety of the piece and figure out where our bell notes fit within the whole. So there is a good deal of trust that needs to happen in bell choir…trust that everyone shows up to rehearse, that we do our focused  best, that we don’t give up and leave, that our director knows how to lead the rehearsal.

Playing bells takes me out of my comfort zone. Feeling in control and relying on myself is how I function best, along with avoiding mistakes at all cost (sound familiar?).  Relying on others is always risky.  And yet… I can’t play alone, and my mind and spirit are made whole because I do this bell choir thing on a regular basis. Totally crazy, right?

So here are steps that help me endure bell choir – and as it turns out – make it possible to live a somewhat sane life:

Show up! Get to rehearsal, get out of bed.  Make sure courage and sense of humor come along.

Listen and follow your director/Director. Don’t be afraid to ask questions or wonder what the heck is going on.

Be brave, willing to fail, and know you are not alone. Pray for strength to do this!

Be flexible and ready to play any part that is needed.

Pay attention to your own part/life and resist the urge to comment on anyone else’s.

Mistakes happen – move on! Be OK with not being perfect, and strive to do better next go around.

Give thanks to God for your fellow ringers and those who travel the journey with you.
_________________________________________

My fellow bell ringers in the COOS Canterbury Bells and our fearless leader, Tom Dixon, are just the best. How lucky am I to share in the disarming discomfort of creating beautiful music with them!


You can hear us play this coming Sunday, November 19, at the 9:00 and 11:15am services.

No comments:

Post a Comment