Monday, December 24, 2018

Magnifying, rejoicing, waiting. December 23, 2018 The Rev. Kathleen M. Sturges



Luke 1:39-55


I still remember the moment.  I was four.  It was December and I was old enough to be totally in tune with all the excitement surrounding Christmas.  I knew that sometime soon I would be getting presents.  Presents, that perhaps, were in my house right at that moment.  And given that my parents were nowhere in sight it seemed like a perfect opportunity to investigate.  I began my search.  Quietly, I opened up closet doors and looked inside.  Then I tiptoed into parents’ room and spied under the bed.  Next I opened some cabinets searching every nook and cranny.   Until finally I peered behind a couch and saw a thin box slid between the back of the couch and the wall.   My heart began to race for I knew I found something.  And pulling it out into the light I saw what it was my gift! - a Dressy Bessy doll.  Very likely the reason I remember all of this so vividly is because of the intense feeling that rushed through me at that moment of discovery.  It wasn’t joy.  It wasn’t excitement.   It was crushing disappointment.  Not because I didn’t want Dressy Bessy, I did.  But because I had ruined the surprise - the wait was over and with it gone was the delight of anticipation.

Today on this fourth Sunday of in Advent our wait is almost over, but I trust no one will experience crushing over that.  In a little more than twenty four hours from now our Christmas Eve services will commence as we celebrate the coming of God in Christ into the world.  Our reading this morning reflects our being on the cusp of Jesus’ birth as we listen to part of Mary’s story.   Really we are jumping into the middle of her story. Mary’s life has just been completely disrupted.  The angel Gabriel has just appeared out of nowhere to announce that Mary will conceive and give birth to a son.  She will name Jesus and he will be God’s Messiah.  It’s a lot to take in.  And perhaps that is the reason why Gabriel mentions, somewhat as a postscript, that Mary’s aged and barren relative, Elizabeth, is now miraculously with child and in her sixth month - which means that Mary is not alone.

Seizing on this news, Mary sets out in haste to journey to Elizabeth’s house.  And when she arrives, the baby in Elizabeth’s womb (whom we know to be John the Baptist) leaps for joy.  Filled with the Holy Spirit, Elizabeth exclaims, “Blessed are you among women and blessed is the fruit of your womb.  And why has this happened to me, that the mother of my Lord comes for me?”   Mary responds with her own proclamation, “My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior.…”  She goes on to extol the mercies of God who has reversed the world’s status quo - the proud have been scattered, the lowly lifted, the hungry filled, and the rich sent empty away.  Yet as beautiful as Mary’s song of praise is all she needs to do is walk outside to see that, sadly, the world falls far short of this vision of justice, harmony, and fullness.

Doesn’t that ring true for us as well?  Tomorrow as we celebrate the good news of Jesus’ birth with songs of peace, joy, and love we know that strife, sadness, and hatred still have mighty strongholds in our world.  Indeed, it is an odd and sometimes confusing land that we, with Mary, Elizabeth, and all the faithful, inhabit.  We  rejoice in the wondrous things that God has done while at the same time wait for the promises of God to be fully expressed.  We proclaim that God’s Kingdom has come while recognizing that it is not totally here yet.  We know that God with us as we believe that God is also coming to us in new and fresh ways  Our life of faith is one that is lived in the tension and the mystery of this already-and-not-yet world.  

Mary and Elizabeth know well how to live in this place of paradox that embraces both the rejoicing in what is and the waiting for what surely will be.  They do this, with God’s help, by looking beyond the circumstances that present right in front of them.  When Mary visits Elizabeth early on in her pregnancy her condition is not obvious.  Yet Elizabeth is able to recognize not just that Mary is with child, but that Christ resides within her.  Elizabeth sees Christ in the other.  And Mary magnifies the Lord.  Now when something is magnified the thing itself does not become bigger, but magnification does alter one’s perception, it enhances the ability to see.  Mary magnifies God by her words and deeds.  She helps us to better see and experience God’s presence in our world.  And we, too, are called and gifted by the Spirit to do the same - to recognize Christ and magnify God - all the while rejoicing as we wait.   

Beyond the initial greeting, we are given no details about Mary’s visit with Elizabeth except for one thing, she stayed for three months.  And that’s an important part of the story because it means that neither woman was alone in her waiting for the promises of God to unfold.  Faith never flourishes in isolation.  We need one another.  During Advent, and all the seasons of our lives, we are to wait for the fulfilling of God’s promises together, in community.  For it is in community that we hold each other up when one of us is in need.  In community we encourage one another, we pray for one another, we serve one another, we love one another.  And sometimes when there’s no apparent fix to a situation, we sit in the dark with one another, waiting together for God’s light to shine.   For it will shine.

Jesus is the light of the world and with his coming we know that love can, does, and will prevail in all times, in all places, in all relationships, in all circumstances.  That is why we rejoice.  And that is why the wait is worth it.  It only took that one time finding of my present to learn the lesson that part of the joy of Christmas is actually found in the wait.   As we celebrate the great gift of God with us this Christmas may we also discover the joy in the wait.  For we can rest in faith and trust that in God’s time, all of God’s promises will surely be fulfilled.       


No comments:

Post a Comment