Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Everything we have is a gift from God. October 18, 2020 Cathrine Cashwell, Stewardship Co-Chair

 

Cathrine Cashwell - Stewardship Reflection

October 18, 2020

 In the beginning

Our daughter, who was eight at the time, returned home from visiting Church of Our Saviour with her friend, Nikki. She walked in the family room and announced that she had found a church that our family would like. How cute was that? This eight-year-old thought she had found a place that would fulfill the complicated needs of each of our family members.

 Still, I was impressed that she had made that declaration. Philip, Stephanie, Cat E. and I visited the church the very next Sunday. Well, that was 18 years ago and here we are.

 Shortly after our first visit

Cat E. and Steph found a niche of friends and fellowship with people their age. Philip found Judy Gary and the choir. But Lamont Tupper found me. He saw me sitting alone and took me to the COOS Adult Forum class, introducing me around. If you arrived here after the death of the Tuppers – you missed a treat. Lamont had a special gift of welcoming people to make them feel comfortable and he used his gift to serve COOS.  As a matter of fact, after the death of Lamont, the church realized we needed a welcoming committee to fill his shoes.

 Highs and lows

Over the last 18 years, our family has experienced a number of highs and lows in life. Our low points were dark nights of the soul. God placed you in my life to be my rod and my staff.

 When my family and I were unable to see light, you guided us.

When I was angry over my loss - my COOS family did not turn me away.

When I was sad, you held my hand.

When I felt unlovable, you showed me love.

During the good times, you have demonstrated happiness and encouragement for our family. Through the highs and the lows you have invited our family to take a closer walk with you.

 And, may I mention that you DO NOT run when you see me coming - arms wide open - asking for help with Summer Celebration VBS!

 Blessings

I have enjoyed directing this program for the past four years. What a smile it puts on my face. This event brings children from across this community that could be at any number of camps, near or far, yet they choose to spend that week at our church. It’s fun but it’s work. Summer Celebration is held in mid-July which is usually the hottest week of the summer. Yet, when all is said and done, the adults who give of their time and energy receive as much of a blessing as the children we serve. We make friends with one another and best of all, we make memories.

These stories and personal observations are a few of the reasons why I felt so honored to be asked, along with Philip, to co-chair the COOS Stewardship Committee.

Never having served on a Stewardship Committee, I read up on it and learned that stewardship is having the wisdom to understand that everything we have is a gift from God of which we are to be the absolute best caretakers. It is the courage to give back out of love, a portion of every gift that has been entrusted to us.

 Pledge cards

I hope you received an envelope from COOS in the last week or so, and that you opened it and found a letter that Philip, myself, and our daughter, Stephanie, helped to write.

 Next, I hope you looked at the graph created by Matt Darring. It shows all the ways we are still giving to those in need, even if we aren’t able to meet within our building. After our Blessing of the Pledge cards, next week, you can place it in the mail. Or, you can make your Pledge online. If you did not receive a pledge packet and would like to receive one, please contact the church office.

 Philip and I love this church and the people who make it a refuge from the world. We are grateful for the opportunity to be present in your lives, even if we are now apart. I hope you feel the same. If so, please support COOS with a portion of your finances.

 The Mosaic Law of the old testament spoke of 10% tithing. While in the new testament, the Corinthians asked Paul how much they should give to the church. He replied that people give in proportion to their means. If God has given you wealth, you should give back accordingly.

 Not only do we want to safeguard our health during this season of COVID-19, we need to safeguard the health of our beloved Church of Our Saviour because We are One…. Together.

 Thanks Be to God.

 Pledge your support here.

No comments:

Post a Comment