Monday, July 26, 2021

Love beyond measure. July 25, 2021. The Rev. David M. Stoddart

 


Ephesians 3:14-21; John 6:1-21

When I was uploading my midweek message this week, YouTube, as it always does, suggested videos that I might want to watch. One of them had to do with smiling — apparently YouTube thought I needed some help with this. And it did grab my attention, so I watched it. It was made by a young woman in the far eastern part of Russia where apparently no one ever smiles in public. She spent a year as an exchange student at the University of Minnesota, not just an American school but a midwestern school where people smile a lot and it freaked her out: she couldn’t deal with all these friendly people being nice to her. Eventually, she adjusted and came to really enjoy it -- and then she moved back to her hometown, where she had to learn again to give and receive smiles rarely. Watching it reminded me of a conversation I once had with a man up in Worcester. His wife and children came to worship every week, but he did not. So we were chatting one day and I asked him why he didn’t come more frequently. And he got quite animated and said that the people at church were too friendly. He didn’t think they were being fake: he thought they were too friendly: they would smile at him and greet him, and he didn’t like that. When he came to church, he didn’t want smiles and warmth: he wanted to be left alone. He told me this with great conviction. I just listened and smiled.

 We humans are funny. We want to be loved and cared for — just not too much. It’s like we can only handle so much love. I’ve seen this many times in church life. People will be welcomed as newcomers, or have meals delivered to them after surgery, or be thanked publicly for something they did and they will tell me how hard that was for them, in some cases excruciatingly hard. And I get it. When parishioners were kind enough to remember my fifteenth anniversary of service here at COOS last year, I received many cards and notes. And they were wonderful, but my first instinct, my deepest reflex, was to close down. I couldn’t  even read those notes at first: it felt overwhelming to me — it was more than I deserved, more than I could handle. And if that’s the way we are with other people, how can we even begin to deal with God?

 This is a crucial question, because God comes to us with love that is literally beyond measure. Jesus again and again reveals a God of infinite generosity. In the Gospel today, not only does he feed thousands of people, he feeds them until they are full and satisfied and then there are twelve baskets, and not little picnic baskets -- kophinous is the Greek word, where we get our word coffin from -- so twelve large baskets of leftovers.  And so it goes with Jesus. Whether he is offering food or forgiveness, healing or acceptance, he holds nothing back, but gives it away not just abundantly but with divine profligacy. It is stunning, but people being people, sometimes they just can’t deal with it. When Jesus helps Peter catch a huge load of fish in Luke 5, for example, a catch so large that the boat starts to sink, Peter falls to his knees and says, Go away from me, Lord, for I am a sinful man.

 One of our chief tasks as followers of Christ, one of our chief tasks as human beings, is to grow in our capacity for God, to grow in our ability to receive all that God wants to give us. We too easily project our scarcity mindset onto God. I have had many people tell me that they are afraid to ask too much of God, but the real problem seems to be that we ask too little. That would explain this amazing passage from Ephesians, where Paul prays that these people will have the grace to open up even more to all that God would give to them: I pray that you may have power to comprehend, with all the saints, what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, so that you may be filled with all the fullness of God. That’s a lot for our frequently unsmiling hearts to take in, a fact which Paul recognizes. He concludes his prayer: Now to him who by the power at work within us is able to accomplish abundantly far more than we can ask or imagine, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen. More than we can ask or imagine — think about that!

 Most of us here have ample food and adequate financial resources. God can certainly provide for our material needs, but that is not my primary concern for this congregation. More pressing for our parish is to experience more fully God’s infinite and unconditional love for each of us and for every human being. Everything depends on that. The two great commandments to love God and love others make no sense apart from that, because we cannot share what we do not have, we cannot give away what we have not received. But we also cannot force any of this. We are limited creatures, only able to handle so much love, so much light, so much God. The mystical poet William Blake wrote in one of his Songs of Innocence that “we are put on earth a little space that we may learn to bear the beams of love.” So in that spirit, let me ask: where do you need help learning to bear those beams? Where do you need help growing in the experience of God’s love? Maybe you just need to feel more loved, or maybe you need to feel more forgiven. Perhaps you need emotional or spiritual healing. Maybe you hunger for more joy or yearn for peace. I’m not going to ask you to do this later in the week: I love you, but I know most of you won’t do that. So we are going to pause and do it right now. How would you like to experience God’s love more in your life? I’ll give you a minute or so, then I will conclude with prayer.

 (Pause)

 Let us pray.

 Dear God, you want to give us more than we can ask or even imagine. Please open our hearts, expand our minds, and inspire our imaginations so that we may grow more and more in the experience of your love. Help each one of us in the particular ways each one of us needs, so that we might receive your love more fully and share your love more generously. We know that you want this even more than we do. So we pray this with confidence and gratitude, and we do so in the Spirit of Jesus. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment