Sunday, April 17, 2022

If we let Him. Easter Vigil 2022. The Rev. David M. Stoddart

 

Romans 6:3-11

When Mother Kathleen and I plan Holy Week, we of course have to decide who is preaching at what service. And we don’t usually flip a coin. I was happy that this year she wanted to preach on Easter morning, which meant that I would preach at the Vigil tonight. I was happy because, frankly, I prefer my resurrection in the dark. Don’t get me wrong: of course there’s a place for flowers and butterflies, bright morning skies and Easter egg hunts. Tomorrow’s worship will be glorious, and I’ll love it. But for me there is something primal and deeply meaningful about sitting in the dark together, hearing the story as the night deepens around us, and waiting for the light. After all, it’s in darkness that we most desperately need the light; it’s in darkness that we most readily see the light. And, personally, my most powerful experiences of the Risen Christ have come in my darkest moments.

 In our reading from Romans, Paul says: Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus have been baptized into his death? Obviously he doesn’t mean that we have physically died or that we have literally been crucified. No, he makes that clear a few verses later: The death he died, he died to sin, once for all. Paul insists that we, with Christ, have died to sin. Does that mean that we behave perfectly and never transgress? Clearly not. Sin in this passage is more basic than that: not just misbehavior but the source of misbehavior, the source of suffering. Sin is separation from God. Jesus lived without sin because Jesus lived intimately close to his Father: The death he died, he died to sin, once for all; but the life he lives, he lives to God. Many things can cloud our lives, but the worst darkness we can ever experience is the despair of feeling separated from God. But we have died to that sense of separation, we have died to sin. And one way we can actually experience that in our lives is to go to our darkest places and wait for the light.

 This is something we can really practice. And it really makes a difference. I know I need to do this frequently. For example, not long ago I was walking our dog after dinner, and I felt terrible: just down and anxious. But rather than try to stuff those feelings or distract myself, I entered the darkness and let myself be aware of all that I was feeling. It wasn’t pretty, and a lot of it came down to fear. I felt afraid because members of my family were struggling with difficult issues that I could not fix for them: I felt overwhelmed by everything I had to do at church and I was afraid I couldn’t do it all; I felt afraid of what is happening in our country and our world; and I felt inadequate, like I was failing and powerless, which just led to even more fear. And in the midst of it all, I felt distant from God, disconnected. Fear and anxiety were blocking any sense of God’s presence. But I’ve been there before, and I know what to do. I stopped, and while Nova sniffed the grass, I said, “Jesus, you see everything that is weighing on me: I hold it before you; I don’t hide any of it from you. Please help me. I need you now. I trust that you are close: help me feel that you are close.” And then I walked on slowly, praying the Jesus prayer with my breath: “Lord Jesus” breathing in, “Have mercy” breathing out. And in those moments of darkness, the light started to shine. I could feel a weight lifting and a sense of peace descending. My problems and concerns had not disappeared, but I felt connected to Christ and close to God. The power of sin, that despairing sense of being separated from God, was gone. It’s in moments like that that I know Jesus is alive.

 If we want to experience the Risen Christ, then we need to meet him in our own darkest places, those places where we feel disconnected from God. Lots of things can cause such darkness to overshadow us. Fear is a primary one: if we feel afraid, that’s a sure call to look deeply and honestly at the reasons for our fear and ask for Jesus to set us free. If guilt is plaguing us and making us feel far from God, Christ can offer full forgiveness and we should ask for and receive that forgiveness. And we could go down the list: anger, frustration, sickness, loss, sheer busyness — all these things can obscure the presence of God and make us feel cut-off. When that happens, sin in that most basic sense is weighing us down. But Jesus really can shine light into our darkness and lift any burden from our shoulders, if we let him. Paul calls us to approach everything with this in mind: The death he died, he died to sin, once for all; but the life he lives, he lives to God. So you also must consider yourselves dead to sin and alive to God in Christ Jesus.

 Consider yourselves dead to sin and alive to God in Christ Jesus. Thomas Keating, the Trappist monk and teacher on prayer, said that the only thing which separates us from God is the belief that we are separated from God. Jesus came to set us free from ever having to believe that again. When we feel that God is distant, we need to name what is making us feel that way and ask Jesus to save us. I can offer you examples of that, but I can’t give you some simple three step method to do this: each of us needs to do it in our own way. The way I do it won’t necessarily be the best way for you to do it. But the more we practice considering ourselves dead to sin and alive to God, the more we will feel the power of the Risen Christ at work in our lives.

 And there is more at stake here than just feeling close to God. When we don’t feel close to God, then we are more likely to hurt others and hurt ourselves. When we feel separated from God, then our worst instincts and our worst behaviors can wreak havoc. I see this in myself all the time. In my darkest moments, it’s hard to love and to be the person I want to be. But when I feel the Spirit of Jesus within me, when I feel close to God, it is easier to be more loving, more patient, more compassionate, more hopeful, more joyful. I know that Jesus is alive not because of spectacular miracles or visions, but because of all those times when he has helped me move from being self-absorbed, bound up in my own fear and anxiety, to being free and present — present to God and present to others. That is sharing in the resurrection of Jesus even now. Again, Paul says it: Therefore we have been buried with him by baptism into death, so that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life. Because Christ is risen, you and I can walk in newness of life — and walking in newness of life — a life close to God — will be our surest sign that Christ is risen.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment