Tuesday, February 7, 2023

Jesus calls us the light of the world. February 5, 2023. The Rev. David M. Stoddart

 


Isaiah 59:1-9a; Matthew 5:13-20

 A few years ago, a woman named Linda Tirado published a blog piece called, “This is Why Poor People’s Bad Decisions Make Perfect Sense.” When she wrote it, she was working two jobs, going to school, and raising children. It’s a quietly devastating piece of writing. It describes long hours, low pay, and how impossible it can be for poor people to somehow pull themselves out of a pit that only seems to get deeper. It recounts a lot of material deprivation, but it’s the hopelessness that is most painful to read about. For example, she writes:

 

I smoke. It’s expensive. It’s also the best option. You see, I am always, always exhausted. It’s a stimulant. When I am too tired to walk one more step, I can smoke and go for another hour. When I am enraged and beaten down and incapable of accomplishing one more thing, I can smoke and feel a little better, just for a minute. It’s the only relaxation I’m allowed. It’s not a good decision, but it is the only one I have access to. It is the only thing I have found that keeps me from collapsing or exploding.

 

About finances, she says,

 

I make a lot of poor financial decisions. None of them matter, in the long term. I will never not be poor, so what does it matter if I don’t pay a thing and a half this week instead of just one thing? It’s not like the sacrifice will result in improved circumstances: the thing holding me back isn’t that I blow five bucks at Wendy’s. It’s that now that I have proven that I am a Poor Person that is all that I am or ever will be.

 

Towards the end she writes,

 

Poverty is bleak and cuts off your long-term brain. It’s why you see people with four different babydaddies instead of one. You grab a bit of connection wherever you can to survive. You have no idea how strong the pull to feel worthwhile is. It’s more basic than food. You go to these people who make you feel lovely for an hour that one time, and that’s all you get. You’re probably not compatible with them for anything long-term, but right this minute they can make you feel powerful and valuable. It does not matter what will happen in a month. Whatever happens in a month is probably going to be just about as indifferent as whatever happened today or last week. None of it matters. We don’t plan long-term because if we do we’ll just get our hearts broken. It’s best not to hope. You just take what you can get as you spot it.


This woman doesn’t speak for everyone, of course, but what she says resonates with so much that I have heard over the years from people coming to me looking for help. Poverty doesn’t just deprive people of shelter, food, and medicine: all too often it deprives them of any sense of self-worth and any reason to hope. And at its worst, it just crushes the human spirit.

 Jesus says today, Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets; I have not come to abolish but to fulfill. The prophets, those challenging and discomforting people, addressed many different situations over the course of many different centuries, but there is one theme they returned to consistently, time and time again. Along with faithfulness to God, it is the core of all prophetic teaching and it is at the heart of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, who comes to fulfill that prophetic teaching. We hear it loud and clear in the words of Isaiah today: Is not the fast that I choose to loose the bonds of injustice, to undo the thongs of the yoke, to let the oppressed go free, and to break every yoke? Is it not to share your bread with the hungry, and bring the homeless poor into your house; when you see the naked to cover them, and not to hide yourself from your own kin?

 I understand that poverty is a huge and complicated problem. I know people have different ideas about how best to address it. I get that we have different politics. But all of us here, I believe, are people of good will. In the Gospel today, Jesus calls us the light of the world, and so all of us can find ways to let the light of Christ shine through us to lessen the suffering of the poor. That could include volunteer efforts here at church (Food Pantry, Grab A Bag, Salvation Army meals, and others) or similar efforts out in the community; it may shape the way we donate our money or the way we invest our money; we can advocate for public policies we believe will make a difference for good. At the very least we can raise our awareness. I am thankful for the work of our racial reconciliation ministry, for example, as it deepens our consciousness of how racism contributes to poverty and oppression in our country. There are many ways to follow Jesus here, and I urge all of us to find ways to do so that work for us.

 But if we do so just out of obligation, we are missing something crucial. Poverty is not just a social problem or a political issue: it’s a human concern, with a human face. I shared some excerpts from Linda Tirado’s piece to remind all of us that the poor are not just statistics: they’re people. And God calls us to love them and to care about them. In fact, I am uncomfortable even using that pronoun “them” because for all of us in Christ it can never be about “them” – it’s about us, all of us together. Isaiah says today that to ignore the poor is to hide from our own kin. I pray all the time about growing in love and faith, I pray it for myself and for the parish, and I know that doing so inevitably means growing to see with ever-greater clarity that we all belong to God and we all belong to each other — in God, we are one. And at least for me, that kind of growth is a difficult process, one that involves real conversion and requires the Holy Spirit to soften and enlarge my heart. I’m sure we are all works in progress, when it comes to that. But we can all say yes to that ongoing work of the Spirit, and we can all at least desire to love better and to love more. And any step we take to show love to the impoverished among us is a step forward, and a step closer to the heart of Christ, which is where the Holy Spirit is ultimately leading all of us.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment