Monday, May 22, 2017

Connect. 5/21/17 The Rev. David M. Stoddart




John 14:15-21

So a few months ago I was at Brixx to get a gluten-free pizza for my daughter Emma. I ordered the pizza, and since it was the end of a long day, I ordered something to drink while I waited for it. I believe it was a Manhattan, and it was pretty good. I sat down to drink it, not really thinking about the fact that I was wearing my collar. I mean, that’s just what I do: maybe I should think about it more. At any rate, the moment I sat down, this guy at the other end of the bar made a beeline for me and started talking. He was drinking a club soda because he’s a recovering alcoholic. Not just that, but a recovering heroin addict as well. He’s been clean and sober for a while and owns a local business, but spends several months a year doing mission work in Haiti. He wanted to tell me about all this, and he showed me some photos. Then he told me that a friend of his was trying to get him to come to church, and he was seriously thinking about it and wanted to know my opinion. I didn’t get far into my answer before another guy came up to us. Big guy with a beard and huge grin on his face. It didn’t seem to faze him that he was interrupting our conversation. He just jumped right in, and his first words were: “Are you a priest?” Then he pointed at my drink and started laughing: “Can you DO that?” He wanted to know what kind of church I was at, and clearly felt like it must be a crazy one (little did he know!) — and then Emma’s pizza arrived, I gulped down the rest of my Manhattan, and bid them both a good evening.

While it was just a funny and quirky encounter, it touched on something quite profound. Can you be a recovering addict with a rough history and belong to a church? Can you be a father and haul person and enjoy a drink at a bar? Is it possible to be both fully human and fully connected to God? The answer may seem obvious — of course it’s possible — but we don’t always live that way. Our cultural stereotype of a churchgoer as a priggish, self-righteous do-gooder who never has any fun is a caricature, but it has some basis in reality. It’s tempting for us to come to church or to approach God in general with only our Sunday best on, all bright and shiny, focusing on our good deeds and our pious thoughts, our worthiness, while trying to bury the rest of us, the darker, broken, less-pretty parts of ourselves. We can be quite fragmented that way, and it can be hard to connect with our whole selves and to connect our whole selves to God.

This is exactly what Jesus does: he helps people to connect. He accepts and loves prostitutes, tax collectors, all sorts of supposedly sinful people for who they are. He gets that you can sell your body for money and still yearn to be close to God. He understands that even corrupt people working for the Roman occupiers had the potential for faith and goodness within them. So he hangs out with them. He eats with them. He helps them connect all the broken pieces of their lives. He loves them for who they are and his love makes them whole. And in doing so, he enables them to connect with God. Because only insofar as we are connected with our whole selves can we bring our whole selves to God and allow God’s love, mercy, and forgiveness to flow through us.

His disciples, a motley bunch of very fallible human beings, experienced this very thing. In Jesus, they found acceptance and wholeness. Through Jesus, they were connected to their full selves and to God. So imagine how they must have felt at the prospect of losing all of that. Today’s Gospel is set on the night before Jesus dies. He has told his friends that he will be crucified, and he clearly sees their fear and responds to their panic. He promises them that the Father will send the Holy Spirit, the Advocate, who will be with them forever, And then he says, I will not leave you orphaned; I am coming to you . . . On that day, you will know that I am in the Father, and you in me, and I in you. In other words, he assures them, “You will still be connected: connected to yourselves, connected to me, connected to the Father. Always.”

I think one of the reasons that people struggle with faith is that they are not fully connected. Many people only bring parts of themselves to God, and invite Christ only into the “good” or “acceptable” parts of themselves, while ignoring the rest. And it doesn’t work. Our entire bring needs to be connected. So, for example, I’m a priest who tries to love and do good ministry. But I am also a human being with all sorts of desires, and a very imperfect person who makes all sorts of mistakes, who needs forgiveness and acceptance. It’s not just the priestly side that matters; it’s not just the “good” side that God cares about. And that kind of thing is true for all of us. So here’s my sermon: Connect. Allow God into your whole being. Really. Share everything with God, not just the “acceptable” stuff. Let the Spirit into every corner of your life and let Christ love you for who you really are. This involves far more than mere lip service: it demands daily, even hourly, acts of probing honesty and raw self-acceptance: “Yes, God, I’m afraid.” “You see, God, that I am angry or hurting or needy.” That is what ultimately leads to our transformation and growth. Thomas Keating once said: “The basic disposition in the spiritual journey is the capacity to accept all reality; God, ourselves, other people, and all creation as they are.” To experience that deep acceptance of ourselves is be connected and to know the love of Jesus Christ. And it is only by experiencing that love ourselves that we can ever hope to connect with others as they really are and, as Christ calls us to do, share that same love with them.






No comments:

Post a Comment